Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How "Not" To Be Forgiven Part 3: Surrender To Christ

So far we have covered the erroneous terms of being forgiven which have been ..."say a sinner's prayer" and "give your heart to Christ". The third false instruction that many preachers and christians will ask a seeker to "do" is to "surrender your life to Christ".
There are two reasons that I want to mention (there are actually many more!) as to why this is totally fraudulent in securing forgiveness. First, acquiring forgiveness from sin and gaining eternal life is a result of receiving not giving, this is a recurring theme in the Scriptures and will be a recurring theme for me as well. Here is what the Bible says in just two places...

John 1:12

King James Version (KJV)

 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Ephesians 2:8-9

King James Version (KJV)

 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It is very clear that we become forgiven, saved children of God by receiving a gift. Imagine how ludicrous it would be if you decided to give me a brand new BMW sportscar. It is an outstanding gift and I'm really blown away by your generosity. The next week I mail you a $20.00 bill because I feel indebted somehow. I continue to send you monthly payments of $20 to ward off doubts that you might decide to take it back. All I have done is thrown a ridiculously inadequate insult in your direction. I just need to accept the gift and enjoy it! Christ has provided us a gift that could never be deserved or secured by anything we could possibly do. You just need to enjoy it, say thanks regularly and be the best Christian you can be. The second reason that "surrender" is not a way to be forgiven is that it is very vague in it's instruction. How could I possibly surrender all of my life and life actions, thoughts and emotions to God? What if I have a bad day, week or month do I lose my forgiveness? Isn't it arrogant to think that it is even possible to do this? By the way, a third reason this is a bad instruction for personal forgiveness is a familiar one...it's not in the Bible. Do you need forgiveness? Trust in Christ work on the cross today?

No comments:

Post a Comment