Friday, July 27, 2012

Chad Everett Dead At 75 But Leaves Behind A Testimony To God's Power

Actor Chad Everett died on Tuesday (July 24th) at the age of 75. He had been battling lung cancer over the past year-and-a-half. His acting career spanned nearly 36 years and will best be remembered for his role as Dr. Gannon in the hit tv series "Medical Center".
Mr. Everett was born, Raymon Lee Cramton, in South Bend, Indiana,  July 11, 1937 and died July 24, 2012. He grew up in a Methodist home and shared some of his life highs and lows in a People Magazine article. Here is a snippet of that interview.

When Medical Center expired, the actor's career went on life support, PEOPLE reported in 1994. The fact Everett owned 15 percent of the show provided a comfortable income, but as he said at the time, "Maybe I was a little too comfortable." Alcohol took over his life.

"Finally I said, 'I am really in trouble.' I stepped outside, and I looked up and I said, 'Father, you take it. I can't handle it anymore,' " he told PEOPLE. The next morning he called his two daughters, Katherine and Shannon, into his bedroom. "I am addicted to alcohol, and I am not going away to detox," he told them. "I am going to do it here so that you can see what happens to someone if you let a substance take control of you."

With the help of Alcoholics Anonymous and his strong religious faith, he continued to battle his problem. Even when he was in the depths of alcoholism, Everett told PEOPLE that his wife (since 1966) "never threatened to leave. She would tell me that she was there for me. If not for my family, I would have been in big trouble." 


 To his credit Mr. Everett married Shelby Grant in 1966 and remained married  until her death last year. Everett is also known for his co-hosting of the the Jerry Lewis Telethon and his conservative Republican values.
As I read about Chad Everett's passing I thought of all the famous personalities that have died recently and how they are not much older than I am. Time is marching on and we are all fading like the flowers and the grass.

Psalm 103
15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
17 But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;


Chad Everett faded though he aged better than most of us do! But we are all like the grass and the flowers. We have our season and then we decline and die. Chad Everett's passing is just another reminder to examine our lives from a spiritual perspective. Have you received the Lord's everlasting mercy through Jesus Christ? I hope you have, but if not, run to Him today. Our obituary will be in the paper soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I have recently been looking for facts about this question for a while and yours is the best I have found so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete