Sunday, June 30, 2013

Last Words Of The Executed: John William Cockrum


This morning I happened to stumble upon an article detailing the final words of men who were being executed for their crimes. I read a very poignant story about executed convict, John William Cockrum. Cockrum grew up in a violent home. His dad was an alcoholic police officer who routinely physically abused John and his sisters. Consequently, at the age of 9, John Cockrum began what would become a lifelong abuse of drugs. The violence in his home continued unabated until at the age of 17 John Cockrum took a firearm and shot his father during one of his dad's angry tirades. His father would die of his wounds several days later but he would tell police before his death that the shooting was an accident. This information spared young Cockrum from a murder conviction and prison time. Unfortunately, the death of his father did not end the drug use. Mr. Cockrum would continue a life of crime to acquire money for the drugs. In 1979 he was convicted of the burglary of a building, in 1985 he was convicted of attempted burglary and in 1986 he was convicted of marijuana possession. A failure to rein in his criminal behavior led him to a fateful event on May 29, 1986. On this date John would attempt the robbery of a convenience store in Bowie County, Texas. The burglary did not go as planned and John Cockrum fired a 22-caliber bullet into the head of 69 year old store owner Eva May mortally wounding her. Cockrum's accomplice, Jerry Morgan, promptly turned himself in and led police to the pistol used in the crime. He struck a deal for his testimony and the rest would be history for Cockrum.
John Cockrum was convicted and sentenced to die by lethal injection. In 1993 he would forfeit all further legal attempts to forestall his punishment and on September 30, 1997 he was executed by the State of Texas. It is customary to give the guilty man a final word and the following are John Cockrum's final words...

"I would like to apologize to the victim’s family for all of the pain I have caused them. I would like to tell my family I love them and I hope to see them again soon. Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me the strength and the time in my life to find Jesus Christ and to be forgiven for all of my sins. Thank you for the changes in my life you have given me, the love and closeness of my family, and my beautiful daughter. Thank you for using me."


I realize that jailhouse religion is often just that...religion. I realize that many people enter prison and profess to have something they really don't have in reality. But I sense in John Cockrum's statement three things that lead me to believe that a heart change really occurred in his life. First, he indicated remorse for what he had done and the people he had hurt. In other words, there was indication that he had experienced a repentant heart and he had changed his mind about himself and his actions. Second, he expressed the belief that his hope of forgiveness was in Jesus Christ. His statement is reminiscent of the statement made by the penitent thief who hung on a cross next to Jesus. He knew he was rightly condemned but his hope was in a Savior who was dying next to him . Third, Cockrum expressed a desire that his family come to know Christ so that he could one day see them again. The true mark of a born again person is the desire they have for the souls of others. Of the 36 famous last words of dying convicts that were detailed in the story I found John Cockrum's was the only story indicating a true touch from the Savior. None of the other statements relayed sorrow or remorse. None of the other statements mentioned  a trust in Christ, in fact, most of the final words were full of cursing and anger.
Most touching concerning these final words by John Cockrum was the thankfulness that God had given him "time" to come to Jesus. He was thankful for the 10 years in prison that provided one last chance for him to be saved.
Let me ask you a few questions. Do you identify with John Cockrum? Are you thankful that God providentially led you to a trusting belief in His dear Son? Do you recognize that there is really no substantive difference between John Cockrum and your own sinful life? You see, you can't go to Heaven until you recognize your own depravity and sinfulness. Christian, have you thanked God lately for your own conversion? Have you thanked Him for giving you time to come to Jesus? Finally, have you thanked Him for "using" your life and testimony?
I look forward to visiting with John Cockrum one day. I look forward to hearing the glowing words from a grateful heart as to how a Savior rescued his life. And I look forward to sharing with John how Jesus rescued me!

Share your thoughts on this article. I would love to hear from you! Click Here





7 comments:

  1. Hi I'd love to share my thoughts on your article being that John William Cockrum was my grandfather! My mom is his only daughter. Get back with me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know where you read my grandfather's story at as i didnt know the whole thing was public like that.Please contact me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor, I should have given you my email address when I responded with my source. My name is Brad and you can reach me at freegracegospel@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Taylor here is the link to the source about your grand-father...
    https://murderpedia.org/male.C/c1/cockrum-john.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad, I don’t know 🀷‍♀️ if you have maintained contact with TAYLOR, Johnny Cockrum’s granddaughter. But if you do, I thought πŸ’­ that you might be interested in knowing that Johnny was interviewed by Mike Barber of PROCLAIM shortly before his execution! You might want to get in touch with Mike Barber Ministries and ask for a copy of the interview! Johnny’s true Christian conversion is being used even after his death! Hopefully WE will ALL meet in Heaven soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. *TAYLOR, I have a clear memory of watching your grandfather πŸ‘΄ being interviewed shortly before his execution by Mike Barber, the head of Mike Barber Ministries, on the Christian TV πŸ“Ί Show dedicated to prison ministry , PROCLAIM . Johnny mentioned your Mom, his beloved daughter! Maybe you’d like to get in touch with them and view the Death πŸ’€ Row Interview. (??) I really enjoyed watching it because I believe that your grandfather πŸ‘΄ was a changed man πŸ‘¨ who had truly come to repentance! Jesus truly was Johnny Cockrum ‘s Lord and Savior before he died!! I hope 🀞 and pray πŸ™πŸΏthat WE ALL meet in Heaven soon!

    ReplyDelete