Tuesday, September 2, 2014

How To Eliminate Guilt From Your Life - There Is Only One Proven Method!

  The dictionary defines guilt (the noun) in two distinct ways. First, guilt is the fact or state of having committed some offense or crime. Second, guilt is a feeling of remorse or responsibility for some crime, offense or wrong. I want to share with you how to eliminate guilt as a fact and as a feeling.
  I know that many will find it impossible to believe that guilt can be eliminated as a fact and even fewer would believe the feeling could be erased as well. My texts for proving my theory will be the writings of the Apostle Paul. I refer to this wonderful Bible author because he alone received the gospel that was uniquely given to Gentile believers in this "age of grace". Until Paul received his special revelation no one had ever heard the good news of God's grace found in the risen Savior. . If you doubt my assertion that Paul is the unique messenger for us then just go to Ephesians 3:1-8. Paul received the good news that by simply believing that Christ died, was buried and rose again one can gain eternal life and complete forgiveness of sins.
I Corinthians 15:1-4
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
  Those four verses are the gospel, the good news! The gospel is a declarative message not an imperative message. In other words, it is a message to be believed not a command to be obeyed. God did everything that is necessary to make us perfectly acceptable in His sight and He did this wonderful work through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. 
  It is a sad condition in the church today when so many so called teachers and preachers neglect Paul's message of grace and try to mix good works into the equation. It is sad that so many today never hear of the wonderful benefits of believing  in this good news. I want to share a few of these benefits and how they relate to the two categories of guilt and how they both can be eliminated.
  In Paul's wonderful letter to the Colossians he made this profound statement:
Colossians 2:13
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Upon "faith in Christ" believers are instantly forgiven "all" sins. Most Christians never fully understand the totality of their forgiveness. They are forgiven "all" sins and they are forgiven "forever". If that is true, and I have no reason to doubt God's Word,  then this verse eliminates the fact of our guilt. When God look's upon me He sees the righteousness of Jesus Christ not the guilt of Brad Richardson (see Philippians 3:9).
   The argument is often made that God has only forgiven us of past sins and it is the future sins that cause us to lose this great salvation and re-enter a state of guilt. That argument has spawned the formation of many churches and denominations today. But that argument has no power when we consider some of the other benefits of St. Paul's good news. Consider the following verse...
2 Corinthians 5:19
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
Romans 4:8
 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
Both of these passages tell us that for the believer God no longer "keeps track" of their sin. The word "impute" is an accounting term and means "to count". How could my future sin be a problem for me if God is not keeping track or counting my sins? Let that sink in just a bit. That is really good news and it is really good news when I consider the fact of my guilt. I am forgiven for all my past offenses and God isn't keeping track of any of my present or future offenses. This is the real reason that Paul's message is good news! Guilt as a fact or state is eliminated when we believe the gospel and receive the benefits.
  So if you are convinced that the fact of guilt can be eliminated how can you eliminate the feeling of guilt? Earlier in this post I referenced First Corinthians 15:1-4. Notice the phrase in verse one "wherein ye stand" and the phrase in verse two "if ye keep in memory". These two phrases tell exactly how to erase the feeling of guilt. We must stand in the gospel! The Easy To Read version of the Bible translates it this way "and you continue to base your life on it". To stand in the gospel is to base our life on the gospel. I base my life on the fact that when the Father looks at me He sees the righteousness of His Son and He sees none of my sin nor does He keep track of any of my sins. Do you base your life on that truth? If you did you would not feel guilty all the time! Maybe you knew this precious truth at one time but you have forgotten it and if that is the case then you need to "keep it in memory". You simply need to revisit these truths and have your mind renewed. I encourage you to "remember" these benefits of the gospel.
   The recent increase in high profile suicides has caused me to think about the problems that so many people must be facing. I think there must be tons of guilt in the lives of multitudes of people. Often we read about guilt being part of suicide survivors experiences but I believe guilt is a driving force behind the desperate act of suicide itself. How many lives could be saved if more people heard and received the gospel and their guilt could be eliminated in fact and in feeling?
  Guilt can be eliminated when we believe the gospel and base our life on it's truths and benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment