Thursday, March 15, 2012

Marcus Borg: The Jesus He Never Knew

Marcus Borg tells about giving a lecture on faith and concluding by asking for questions. One person expressed her concern that he had not mentioned faith in the cross. To clarify the question, he asked, "Do you mean do I believe that Jesus died for our sins?" She said, "Yes." Borg answered, "I don't think that Jesus literally died for our sins. I don't think he thought of his life and purpose that way; I don't think he thought of that as his divinely given vocation." Jesus, p. 96 

Once again I would like to focus a post on some more of Marcus Borg and his outrageous statements concerning Jesus. I think there is value in refuting the gainsayers (Paul's language) because in looking at the incredibly faithless statements of so called Bible scholars we can sharpen our own understanding of what the gospel message truly is and who Jesus really claimed to be.

Let's examine the above statement by Borg and look at it piece by piece. First statement...
"I don't think that Jesus literally died for our sins."
Now here is what the Apostle Paul said concerning Jesus and his death  and notice that Paul identifies these words as "the gospel".

1 Corinthians 15

 1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
 2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
 3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. What glorious good news! But not to Borg, he views the Bible as a human product that is fraught with error. Notice that Paul said that it is by receiving this good news that we are "saved". One has to wonder, based on Borg's own words, whether he knows what it means to be forgiven and saved. Dear Reader, it boils down to a very simple proposition, either you believe God's Word or you don't. Obviously, Dr. Borg does not accept the literal meaning of I Corinthians 15:1-4. I feel pity and anger for this man. I pity him because unless he believes the gospel he will die in his sins. I feel anger because Borg's influence through his writings and lectures has ensured that Borg will have company in the afterlife! Here is statement number two...

I don't think he thought of his life and purpose that way; I don't think he thought of that as his divinely given vocation." 


John 12:27

King James Version (KJV)
 27Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.


John 14:6

King James Version (KJV)
 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


Luke 7:48-50

King James Version (KJV)
 48And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
 49And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
 50And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.


Mark 14:61-64

King James Version (KJV)
 61But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
 62And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. 

Clearly, Jesus knew that He was the Christ, God in the flesh and the one who could forgive sin. He knew that it was His vocation..."for this cause came I unto this hour". The average reader, void of earned doctorates, not having a professorship at a major university, not having written a single book will simply read the Word of God and believe it. It is no wonder that the Apostle Paul recorded these words in the first chapter of his first letter to the Corinthians...

  18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
  26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

The Greek word that is translated "wise men" is sophos which means "cultivated or learned". I fear that many of our world's so called intellectuals have become so cultivated and learned they have lost the ability to believe with a child-like faith and many of them will in the final appointment hear a rejection from the Savior...I knew ye not. 
So here we are again Dear Reader, what about you? Have you been to Jesus for the forgiveness of sins? Have you relied on what Jesus did on that cross to be sufficient payment for your sins? Come to Christ! Don't make this more complicated than it is...come to Jesus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment